A comic dub was recreated for Miraculous Ladybug and a new fan base joined our channel!
A comic dub was recreated for Miraculous Ladybug and a new fan base joined our channel!
So you've probably seen my latest video, if not I recommend you go watch it if you don't want to read this lengthily novel to understand whats happening. But if you do want to hear more from me explaining my current situation read on as I explain WHY Lovesick and Sakura Media might stop altogether.
To put it simply, I'm not making any money. In May 2018 I quit my Industry job and moved back into my parents house, I decided to try and do YouTube full time as Sakura Media, to try and make a living out of Lovesick and Animations on my channel. The money wasn't a big issue at this point because I figured I slowly start to make more as time went by. And I did! But it went down very quickly too, I need to have a good regular and RELIABLE income for me to continue doing this full time, but my animations take along time to do. They aren't videos I can upload at a weekly basis never mind a daily basis like most You Tubers do. Each Lovesick episode does do insanely well view wise, but they gradually increase over time so the money is very little and spread out over months.
I don't want this to sound like just in it for the money... But I'm 26 years old, I just moved out of my own house where I had a good income, to now move into my parents spare bedroom with a bit of pocket money every week. I have defiantly gone backwards.
But it was a risk I was willing to take to be able to animate my own videos for a living, I worked in the game industry for 3 years and every day at work I would think about what I could do for my own animations. I would get so frustrated at work and daydream about the possibilities, so when my YouTube channel started to get popular I jumped at the chance to make Lovesick a series that would start me on the road to doing this full time! It was exciting but also very scary.
All my work colleges at the time were egging me on and impressed with what I had accomplished in my spare time. But they didn't see how tired and ill I had made myself too. All they saw were the subscriber count going up, that's all anyone saw.
Monday to Friday I worked 8.30 till 6 on a computer and during the weekends I'd work practically all day working on Lovesick. I'd sit down at my computer in the morning and not leave till it was dark outside, so many times I hadn't even moved from my chair to eat and also realising I hadn't been up to use the toilet that entire time either...that was a weird one.
Now straight away that's obviously not healthy, I've gained a lot of weight this past year...which I don't really care about but I usually don't put on weight so it was a sign I've gone too far. Every night I had headaches because of looking at a screen all week and my hands were aching from repetitive strain, which I've always had issues with, but it got really bad.
I'm not trying to make you pity me, at the end of the day I don't regret working like that because it was my chance to work on my own series and that's all I want to do. People work on projects like this all the time, working themselves to the limit because they have so much passion for it. But all my hard work to create a video leaves it to then be uploaded onto YouTube. And YouTube hasn't been at its very best these past few years.
- Decreased the percentage of ad-revenue for all creators.
- Moved to a watch-time based monetisation, meaning shorter videos don't get served any premium ads.
- Created THE ALGORITHM. Videos don't show up in searches as much as they used to. A lot of subscribers don't see videos in their feeds, again, mostly down to watch-time. The algorithm only cares about quantity, not quality.
- Responded to the AD-POCALYPSE with crazy strict rules. Absolutely everything must be kid-friendly now. Lovesick content is 50% kid-friendly, for now. If I want to earn any money for future episodes I'll have to remove a lot of content.
- Copy write is a huge worry for most of my work, if anything is seen as copy write in a video you'll make no money from it, which is upsetting because I want to recreate a lot of YouTube videos with animation.
- Article 13 plays into copy write and even though I don't really understand it, if it goes into effect this might be the one thing that destroys Sakura Media completely
- First I need to write up the script, this can take a few days as I need to research the game and think about all the rivals and how each decision will impact the story later on.
- Then I send the scripts to my voice actors, I'll also need to find new ones if a new character has appeared. It will take a minimum of 2 weeks for them to send me back the lines, I've had to wait over a month for one voice actor before.
- Next I have to listen to all the takes from each voice actor and ask for redos if needed and then I edit them into each scene. This can take a few days to get right.
- I then take the audio and record myself in motion capture acting to each characters lines. This will only take a day to do.
- Then I need to setup the scenes with the environment models, usually they are easy to find but sometimes I can't find a model to download and it takes awhile to find alternatives or approach a ripper to share theirs with me. This also goes for character models. If I need a new character I'll also have to rig them to use in my software, I don't use MMD like many of you think I do. All the models I find are built for MMD so I have to do a lot of editing and re exporting to have them ready in my software.
- Finally I can start animating, I add the mocap to my rigs and clean up the animation. Now this part can take awhile but it can also be very quick depending on the complexity of the scene and how many characters are involved. It also depends on the motion capture quality. I've gotten scenes done in one day but some scenes will take a week to animate because of all the extra characters and things just going wrong. Once the motions are animated for each character I have to animate their facial motions too. This usually takes a day per scene.
- Once all the animations are done I render out each scene, this can take a few hours. I then render out extra scenes that I use for transitions, Things I add in between each scene to break them up.
- Into final production in after effects I setup all the renders and add any effects or transitions. Credits and intros are added and I render out the full animation. There's usually a few errors with syncing or a render has gone wrong so I'll have to redo this a few times
- But once I have my final video I send it over to DigitalZombieStudios who add the sfx and music. This usually takes a few weeks. I have hardly ever asked for a redo, because hes just that good!
- Then I simply upload to YouTube! Easy right?
- Stop YouTube, get a job in the games industry once more.
- Continue YouTube for a few more months working solely on Lovesick and hope that my Patreon support can become more stable for me to rely on.
I haven't seen any other animation channel on YouTube who has made a series completely alone, with each video over 5 minutes (Series wise) and have good quality animations throughout.
The facial animation still needs a little bit of work and I need to add blinking, but this was all drawn, setup and animated in a day and a first attempt, so I'm very happy with my progress.
It should be done by the weekend, but I won't be uploading anything until Lovesick Ep5 has been uploaded. Which may be another week or so. Unfortunately the sound designer is very busy.
Well, my computer ended up needing a full reset. I have my files saved.
But I'll have to reinstall everything which honestly could take 2-3 days. So it's a bit of a hindrance BUT I could have lost everything so I'm lucky I guess.
I'm spending the weekend drawing, I got back into drawing while my computer died and I'd like to try doing some more.
I might post some drawings here or on my Instagram.
In other news. Monty brought me a present today... A dead baby bird half eaten. Why do cats think we would ever want that...thanks but no thanks.
Well, I had a nightmare of a day.
My computer decided to do a routine Windows update and that led to a bluescreen and no entry into my computer.
This is when we panic.
I think it was less than a month ago that I bought a brand NEW Computer because my other one died, but I managed to save everything just in time.
This time I was not prepared.
I spent over 3 hours typing out different commands, restarting numbeous amounts of times.
I have a friend who has built computers for years walking me step by step what to do. But everything was just coming up with a different error!
Luckily though, I got back in. All my files were still there, it was the luckiest day of my life. Now its still not fixed, I might never turn my computer off again. But I can save my stuff!
Thank the lord.
I just spent the day cleaning up and watching movies :)
I wasn't going to post an update today but while cleaning I was looking at my big white board I have that I write notes on.
And I decided to plan ahead, one thing I havnt managed to do is setup a schedule for my videos, it's impossible to do because I never know when things will be finished.
But planning is very important, so on my whiteboard I have created a weekly schedule, It includes a variety of different things new and old. I'm very excited to start!
Let's hope the workout scheduled in every day was a typo.
I'll be uploading this video in the next few days, I try to make these ones a bit funnier rather than just news. So should be a good one :D
Its Friday today and I try not to work weekends, to give my hand a rest as I get repetitive strain :(
But knowing me I'll still work on something...I actually did a very quick animation at 1am last night, I just got inspired out of the blue to animate some Pokemon. Its given me a few ideas to animate after Lovesick. Its nice to do different things now and then, keeps me sane.
The rest of the day I carried on working on Lovesick, currently scene 7, where we are back in the Student Councillors room, but this time its not Ayano having a meeting...
This model is a really hard one to get the arms and hands looking nice pose wise. Its just rigged weirdly (And yes I did rig it) I just REALLY hate rigging ¬ ¬
I still need to polish a few things on this scene before rendering. I'll finish that off tomorrow.
I believe I only have 3-4 scenes left for this episode! Woohoo the end is in sight!
I'm animating a scene in Lovesick where you see the two Basu sisters come back to the classroom after losing something, and suddenly Osana is called into the student Council's office?
What could have happened?
Was a difficult scene to finish, I've also had to remove quite a large chunk to change the story slightly, so there's less to do, which means a quicker upload, but also means the video will be shorter.
Its hard to decide whats best in this situation, people complain about the wait, and then complain its to short. XD
All I complain about is animating Osana's hair.....god those pigtails are way too long!!
SO what’s this site about?
As the creator of Lovesick and other animations on our channel, it takes along time to get any work done! I’m sure you all agree, them uploads are very infrequent! But I am constantly working daily to get things done for this channel!
Therefore this site will be used to update you on my progress daily! Even if I don’t get any animation done in a day, I might just write a small blog about what I did instead, even if its a movie marathon or the first time I go for a jog! (Never going to happen)
Its just to keep you guys as up to date as possible! Because this is now my full time job!
You’ll mostly be seeing Lovesick updates as that is my main priority, but I’m also working on lots more stuff, from a chibi series to a boys love adaption.
I hope you’ll enjoy reading my posts from now on and don’t forget to follow me on all my other social media!
YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | PATREON | INSTAGRAM | TWITTER | DISCORD
Today is Sunday, so I'd like to say I did something proactive or sociable and came off the computer, but no. I spent the day looking through MMD models to make some new characters for my upcoming series. The boy love series.
This series is still in VERY early development, but once Lovesick EP5 is uploaded I'll be trying to get this series up as soon as possible. So far I have a casting call receiving auditions and 6 scripts written up. The scripts were taken from the manga, this series is a manga adaption, the manga I am following is Totally Captivated
I read this manga YEARS ago and I've reread it over 10 times at least! So yea I recommend!
I always wanted this manga to be made into an anime, but no such thing. So why not make it an animation instead! ;)
And so today I spent a few hours looking through models editing and combining them together to make my two main characters. (These may be changed later)
I'm really looking forward to animating these two together, its going to be a lot of fun!
What do you think of the models so far? Have you read the manga?
Leave a comment down below!